About the Company:
NZMS is New Zealand’s leading digitisation and imaging bureau for cultural heritage materials such as photographs, manuscripts, publications, maps, works of art, and audio-visual records. We work primarily with galleries, libraries, archives, and museums throughout New Zealand, but our clients also include government agencies, private companies, iwi, and individuals. We have offices in Wellington (2), Auckland, and Christchurch.
Recollect Ltd is NZMS’ sister company which a cloud-based community engagement platform (SaaS), that hosts our customers’ cultural heritage digital reproductions and we have built up an enviable reputation in the market internationally. NZMS are the NZ reseller of this product.
Purpose of the Position:
The IT Support Specialist role is a multifaceted position with the main focus being the frontline face of IT within NZMS. The successful candidate will be supporting our Operations, Sales, Marketing, Implementation, and Administration teams internally, as well as working with the Recollect Ltd Development team.
The role is primarily a combination of helpdesk and field engineer, triaging and resolving faults with hardware and software, and escalating jobs when required. Secondary purposes include system administration, regular server maintenance, application packaging and network engineering. Additionally, we are a distributor for scanner and digitisation hardware that a successful candidate will have to support & repair with the help of the reseller. The position may at times require travel and/or after-hours work, as required.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
This is a sole charge position managing IT Support for NZMS .The successful candidate will take ownership of this department, working directly with employees who have technical issues such as forgotten passwords, viruses or email issues, and managing software licenses and hardware lease agreements with suppliers.
You will be supported by and liaise with NZMS’ Contractors for ICT Support (Desktop Imaging Ltd). Desktop Imaging’s Support Agreement is for onsite and remote support services provided for the offices or buildings of NZMS, and Recollect Ltd.
The role includes:
- Responding to staff IT queries via email following the ticketing system protocol, or via phone, as required.
- Following the documented SLA timeframes for responses to tickets.
- Supporting Windows based desktops.
- Supporting Office 365, Adobe Cloud, and various other software.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and resolving hardware, software, and network faults.
- Creating technical and procedural documentation and relevant reports.
- Account creation and maintenance (e.g. Groups, Passwords, Lockouts).
- Monitoring systems.
- Prioritising and managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Troubleshooting and basic repairs of digitisation equipment (scanners, cameras, stepper motors).
- Supporting team members within NZMS’ Operations and Sales Teams in Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch with equipment hardware & software problems and working with our equipment suppliers.
- Researching new technology in both hardware and software, providing recommendations on options to consider that may benefit the company moving forward.
- Supporting the roll-out of new hardware and software.
- Out of hours work may be required due to planned or unplanned activities that occur.
You will need to show evidence of the following personal traits:
- A good sense of humour.
- A strong focus on customer service.
- Have integrity and builds trust with colleagues and suppliers.
- Strong communications skills to support the local & national operations/ sales teams, enjoying collaborating day to day to support them in their requirements.
- A good listener, able to listen to non-technical users, asking appropriate questions to establish what the real issue is, and translate between technical and non-technical staff.
- Attention to detail, particularly when documenting work so that others can clearly understand what was done.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Can prioritise your workload and self-manage your time.
- The ability to work well in a team or independently.
- Experience in creating different ways of approaching challenges and coping with change.
Required Technical Skills
You will need to show evidence of the following:
- Basic electronic hardware repair / maintenance skills.
- Advanced Active Directory knowledge (GPO, AzureAD Sync).
- Advanced networking skills (VLANs, Routing, IPSEC VPN).
- Basic scripting/ coding skills (e.g. PowerShell, VBS, Bash).
- Knowledge of Windows 10 in a domain environment.
- Knowledge of common Windows applications (e.g. Office, Adobe Suite).
- Solid understanding of desktop / laptop hardware and experience troubleshooting problems.
Beneficial/Desired Technical Skills
These skills are desired rather than required but would be beneficial to the position and should be considered topics to study where needed:
- A relevant tertiary qualification.
- Industry certifications e.g. Microsoft, AWS, Cisco, Aruba, Sophos.
- Advanced PowerShell.
- Office365 knowledge (AzureAD, Exchange, Sharepoint, Teams).
- Knowledge of Device Imaging and Application Packaging.
- Knowledge of System Centre Suite, particularly SCCM.
- Understanding of IT Security concepts and best practises.
- Understanding of Virtualization (e.g. Hyper-V) and cloud (e.g. AWS/GCP/Azure).
- Ansible Automation.
- Familiarity with Device configurations (HP MSA, Aruba core, Sophos firewall).
- Soldering, oscilloscope usage, low voltage electronics troubleshooting.
To learn more about this position, or to apply, please click here.