About the Company
NZMS is New Zealand’s leading digitisation & imaging bureau for organisations from the “GLAMIR” Sector (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Museums, Iwi, Records) as well as local and government agencies, private companies, artists, and individuals. We digitise cultural heritage material such as photographs, manuscripts, newspapers, maps, and works of art and have four offices throughout Aotearoa New Zealand. We are also the original creators and NZ resellers for the community engagement platform Recollect which allows our customers digital collections to be made accessible online.
NZMS’ values are to be professional, reliable, trustworthy, caring, and friendly experts who continue to be an industry leader in our field. Please refer to the following websites for more information:
Purpose of the position
This role is responsible for managing and providing strategic direction for the central operations team. It is a great opportunity for a talented and visionary operational leader who can help ensure NZMS’ future success. You will undertake a critical role in the business: engaging your team to achieve excellence, taking accountability for the day-to-day leadership of production, being a passionate and inspiring leader who is able to get the very best out of people through great communication skills and best-practice knowledge. You will be a big-picture thinker, a creative problem solver, who is able to deliver meaningful and tangible results that keenly drives productivity and efficiency across the business while meeting our customer’s unique requirements.
This role will be based at our Head Office in Grenada North – however flexibility to travel throughout New Zealand is required.
To be successful in this role you will be able to demonstrate competence across a range of areas and skill sets including:
- A strong and supportive team builder who leads by example and builds trust. You recognise the potential of people and will develop their capability, diversity, and strengths to improve the overall ability of the team.
- Facilitates, coaches and encourages sharing of information, experience, knowledge and ideas, supporting our approach that we think nationally as a team.
- Can simplify ambiguity and give clear direction.
- Proven experience building strong relationships both internally with a team and externally with customers.
- Excellent communication and listening skills – both verbal and written.
Processes and Finance
- Systems and outcomes focused. Can prioritise and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. This includes planning and allocating the workload for your team (of 10-20 staff).
- A critical thinker-scopes, plans and strategises to reach outcomes in alignment with organisational goals.
- The ability to review existing production procedures (including hardware and software) and develops, implements and monitors improvements.
- Proven understanding of job metrics, costings and margins.
- Budget management expertise.
- Excellent organisational skills with proven experience in problem solving and decision-making.
- Photography experience (desirable) and/or has worked within a digital production environment.
- Intermediate/advanced skills in the Microsoft Office suite.
- Sees the big picture and identifies trends, risks and influences that may impact work, including utilising customer centred design to enhance service offerings.
- Ability to develop specialist knowledge.
- Evidence of participation in cross-organisational or sector networks.
- Has a valid full NZ drivers licence.
Desirable Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- 3 years in senior level operations management, in a relevant field.
- Consultancy skills – appraising or reviewing customer collections and writing up recommendations and advice, working in conjunction with the sales team.
- Experience managing multiple teams.
- Understands International Preservation Standards and Guidelines.
For overseas enquiries and non-NZ residents: only applicants that are legally entitles to work in New Zealand and can make themselves available for interviews in New Zealand will be considered for advertised positions.
To learn more about this position, or to apply, please click here.